With ever expanding OHS&E requirements the need to provide purpose-built pig handling equipment has become an important consideration for both new installations and on existing pigging equipment facilities. Pig Trolleys and Pig Handling Equipment are designed to assist operations personnel in the safe loading, unloading, transportation and storage of pipeline pigs for both process operations and periodical pipeline inspection operations.
Pig Trolleys consist of a robust frame which holds the pig loading/unloading tray. Pipeline Pigs are placed on the loading/unloading tray and pushed into the Pig Launcher or from the Pig Receiver by hand or winch. The height of the pig loading/unloading tray is designed to align with the bore of the Pig Launcher/Receiver major barrel to facilitate a smooth transition during loading/unloading procedures. The pig trolley frame is also fitted with soft tyred wheels so it can be moved up to the the launcher or away from the receiver on a running rail system. The wheels can be locked in position in the running rail to prevent the trolley from moving during loading/unloading operations. Pig Handling Equipment such as Lifting Davits are installed to place pipeline pigs on the pig loading/unloading tray during loading or, lift the pig clear during unloading. Other handling equipment such as pig storage frames are employed for large diameter pipeline pigs.
Some of the factors which could influence the design of Pig Handling Equipment to be installed are:
- Employing a safe and effective means of handling Pipeline Pigs as they are loaded into Pig Launchers and unloaded from Pig Receivers
- Site-specific and Government legislated OHS&E requirements
- Type of Pig Launchers and Receivers installed i.e. Process or Intelligent
- Type of Pigs being utilised i.e. Mechanical Pigs, Intelligent Pigs, Foam Pigs etc.
- Size & Weight of the Pipeline Pigs being utilised
- Volatility of products being transported through the pipeline system
- The location of the Pig Launcher & Receiver
- Availability of services such as Lifting Davits, Mobile Cranes, Compressed Air, Electricity etc….
- Frequency of Pigging Operations
With many years of field proven experience HORIZON Industrial offers design and supply of Pig Trolleys and Pig Handling Equipment to suit site-specific requirements and conform to Australian and/or International Design Codes, Laws and Standards. A range of materials including Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel, Duplex Stainless Steel, Aluminium and other materials are available.
Typical Pig Handling Equipment components include:
- Pig Trolleys
- Lifting Davits
- Winches (Electric, Air or Hydraulic)
- Running Rails
- Height Adjusters
- Locking Systems